God created her, I carried her, now she is my happiness and my laughter.

Monday, June 13, 2011

I had a love affair with the Navy

This morning I cried because I missed the Navy so much. And while I do not usually cry about it, I am in a continual state of missing the Navy. I get so irritated at people who just complain all day about their military job. The military offers many great character traits, quality in your life, and not to mention free medical. The benefits way out number the day to day grime that you have to put up with. Why do you think they offer so many benefits? Because they know on a day to day it's not the most fun job. But, it is the most rewarding. I miss the structured life style, the brother/sisterhood of my shipmates, the respect bestowed on others and myself, the respect bestowed on this country and the flag. The Navy is and was something to be proud of! I feel extremely honored that I can say I served, though I wish I could have done more than 4 years. I've known people to serve 4 years, absolutely hate every minute of it, get out, and then take the praise of a civilian as if they were so proud to have served. When civilians praise me as a veteran I feel ashamed that I did not do more. Only 20 years could have made me feel like a real veteran.
But, like my mother before me, I gave up something I love for my family. My mom came through and raised a very nice family so I have faith that I can do the same. I would not trade my time with Emma right now for anything. But in a weak moment, when my husband, friends, and people all around me are going off in their Navy uniform serving their country, I do miss the Navy and sometimes I miss it so bad it hurts. Why can't people like me serve and those who complain get out? It's the age old "grass is always greener" concept. Although, the grass in the Navy for me was looking pretty luscious and green all the time!

No comments:

Post a Comment