God created her, I carried her, now she is my happiness and my laughter.

Wednesday, June 8, 2011

The Whole Story

So, about a week ago, I (much out of the norm) answered a strange number that was calling me. It turned out to be a guy answering a Craigslist posting I had posted several months ago stating that I was looking for a large breed dog for my family preferably a Great Dane or German Shepherd. He asked if I was still looking and I informed him that we were due to get a mixed puppy in July, but asked what kind of dog he had. I couldn't believe he had a 2 1/2 year old jet black Great Dane. Full blood, nice shape, free of charge, and came with all the stuff. There was no way I could pass up what I new to be Jason's dream dog of choice. So I agreed to take Admiral off his hands. He needed to give him away as soon as possible because his 9 month old baby girl had developed a bad allergy to him. The guy warned me that he was the runt of the littler and smaller than what I was probably expecting. And I have to admit, I was bummed about that. But it was still going to be a great surprise for Jason's birthday which happened to be right around the corner. (Jason is underway at this time) So, the next afternoon, dog owner, Steve, knocks on my door. He tells me to get ready because the dog isn't well trained and he's about to bring him out of the car. I am taken aback as Admiral, completely fitting name, trots around the corner, head up, shoulders broad, proud as can be. He is no small dog. I couldn't believe he was the runt. He was bigger than any great dane's I had seen before. My heart was beating wildly with excitement. I was immediately attached and the dog was surprisingly mellow in a new environment. We set up his things around the house, I got all the instruction that I needed on how to care for such a big dog and then Emma, the cats and I were left alone with him. I was pet sitting another dog at the time so at first it didn't sink in that this dog was here to stay.
The first couple days were a little difficult because Admiral and the dog I was pet sitting didn't get along. So, I juggled their potty schedules, play time, and walks. Also, unlike all the other dogs I've had in this yard, Admiral had no qualms about trudging right through the dense brush in the back and escaping out the other side. I could not believe it. Emma and I put on our jeans and boots and went in after him. I could tell Emma thought we were on a real adventure and most of the brush engulfed her. She was a real trooper keeping up with me as I chased after Admiral. Luckily he didn't go far and I pulled him back through the brush.
Couple days later I wanted to run inside for something real quick while Admiral was outside playing. As I'm inside I hear Emma yelling for Admiral. I knew he had run off again. I went outside and ended up chasing him a quarter mile down the street, through someone's yard and finally he let me catch him. I knew he could not start doing this every day, but there was nothing I could do about fencing until Jason got back. I immediately called my mom to send me some training papers so I could begin his obedience training stat. After a third escape of me sprinting after a dog who had completely forgotten his name, and having to leave Emma in the back yard by herself while I ran half a mile down the road after a dog who had no intentions of letting up, I decided enough was enough. From then on, Admiral was never outside with out me monitoring his every move.
Other than the running off, Admiral is a great dog for Emma. They play together like he was any other kid. He gallops through the yard after sticks and balls that she throws for him. He likes to chase after her as she runs through the house. He's the playmate that we have been wanting for her. She will play outside by herself now as long as he is there. For as large of a dog as he is, he's extremely gentle with Emma.
Admiral learned quickly not to mess with Bagheera who ended up leaving him with four bloody spots in his nose and part of a claw. But, Mowgli is still a scardy cat and both cats, when they aren't escaped outdoors, just hang out in my room which is off limits to the dog.
I was thankful to hear that Jason was getting in early from his underway trip. I was ready for someone to put a fence up in the back and it was becoming difficult to keep this new, great part of our lives a secret.
On the way home, Jason talked about how excited he was for his surprise, but he didn't want the surprise to be ruined so we didn't talk about it much. I was almost giving away the surprise at every turn because every cool thing I had to say involved the dog. Not to mention I left a sheet in the car from when I had taken Admiral to the park and vet. I had to lie and say the sheet was for the dog I was pet sitting.
Not unlike me, I forgot Emma's diaper bag on this excursion to go pick up Jason. We left the house at 1230 and were not headed out on the home stretch until nearly 1900 so you can imagine Emma's diaper was over flowing. When we got home I really wanted Jason to be the first one to walk through the door so he could have the full affect of Admiral's size and the surprise of it. But Jason insisted on getting Emma who by this time had pooped out of her diaper and we had to wrap her in the sheet. Plus, when we pulled in the garage, Admiral heard Jason's strange voice and started barking. Jason did not seem to realized there was a dog barking in the house. I hoped he thought it was a neighboring dog. I kept thinking to myself "Admiral, you're giving away your surprise." Then, as I was opening the door Jason finally mentioned something about the barking. He said, "There's a dog in the house." I smiled and as he saw Admiral for the first time I said, "Surprise!"
Jason got a huge smile on his face and admired his size (the first thing everyone does) We briefly talked about how the whole thing had played out. He said he was definitely surprised and was extremely excited to finally have the dog he's always wanted.
The initial meeting of Admiral did not go according to plan what with his barking, Jason holding a pooped out baby, and Admiral was shy around Jason for the first while. He even ran into my bedroom when we first came in the house. But, over all it was a great surprise and in my experiences surprises never go according to plan anyway. After we took care of Emma and put her in a bath we took Admiral outside so I could show Jason how he galloped and how he runs back with the ball in his mouth right at you and you think he's going to knock you over.
Over all, we are feeling complete now. Question is still unanswered if we are going to also get the puppy in July.

1 comment:

  1. Ha ha ha! Things NEVER go according to plan!

    Bethany will be just like you some day - 90 million animals and happy as can be. =)

    ReplyDelete