God created her, I carried her, now she is my happiness and my laughter.

Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Emma's day so far

Emma has been sleeping at the foot of our bed on her mattress because it keeps her from having nightmares. This morning I was blessed to wake up two hours later than usual to Emma singing away. I tried to act like I was asleep because I wanted to just enjoy her song. But Emma pokes her little head up from time to time to see if I'm awake. She saw my eyes were open and she got the biggest glowing smile on her face and said "Oh momma! You woke up." She's so sweet to patiently let me sleep. I thank Jason for teaching her to respect mommy's sleep. Then, as she always does, she asked "Where's Dad?" I told her he was at work as I do every morning and then Emma started playing her little game that she likes to play. She said, "He's on the couch." I laugh and say, "No, he's at work." She says, "Daddy's in the bed." I laugh and tickle her and say "No, silly, he's at work." She says "Daddy's at the counter." Then I tickle tickle tickle and give her a hug and say "Daddy's at work." The tickle, tickle, hug seems to be the end of her game.
I was further surprised when I wanted to get up and get around and Emma said, "Don't get up." Usually I try to lay around in bed and Emma is egging me to get up. She bring me my clothes and tries to pull me out of bed. I was thankful she wanted to let me rest, but I needed to get up and take care of my headache.
Emma and I went into the bathroom where I did my morning routine (which this morning mainly just consisted of putting my contacts in). My headache was worse and I was waiting for a phone call from my mother-in-law so I decided (since I had Emma's permission) I would just get back in bed. As I lay waiting there for my phone call, I watched Emma through a mirror that viewed the bathroom. She was putting her finger on my contact case and then touching her eye lid (as if to put on her contacts). She did that to both eyes. Then she started filling the case with water, dumping it out, and filling it again. She then realized the case was very similar to a small cup and she decided to start drinking water from the contact case. This really tickled her as a really fun activity so she filled up the case and brought it out to ask me if I wanted some. I said "No, thank you." She said "No?" I said, "No, thank you." She said, "Ok." And set the case down on the bedside table. Then she stepped back looked at it and said, "Oh" and then picked it up and moved it to the coaster. (YES! My training is paying off!)
Karen called so I got up to pace the house as I always do. Emma followed me with her contact case drinking and playing around with the water. Then she got the bright idea that she wanted to put juice in it. I told her to wait until I was off the phone. So she put the case down and started eating chips. She took a handful of chips and then told me she was done with the chips. So, while still talking on the phone, I rolled up the bag, put a clip on it and put them away. As soon as Emma was done eating her handful she said, "More chips?" I whispered "I thought you were done eating chips?" She said, "More chips." So I got them back out and set them on the table. She took another handful and said, "Done with chips." I just rolled my eyes and whispered back "If you want more then they'll be there, if you don't want more you don't have to have any." She was satisfied with that answer.
I was pacing the living room talking with Karen about our camper living idea. Emma suddenly rushed up to me very concerned. "Mowgli threw up. Mowgli threw up." I told her it was ok and that I would clean it up in a minute. But, as I went back to my phone conversation Emma couldn't get over the throw up. She kept running past it and talking about how it was there. (Too much Mr. Monk, I think for her) Then she leaned on the couch and lifted her foot and asked me to clean the throw up off her foot. I just laughed and said, "Emma, if you don't want it to get on your foot, then don't run on top of it. I'm talking to Nana, I'll clean it in a minute." She ran around on the side of her foot for the rest of my conversation. As soon as I hung up she ran back to the couch, lifted her foot and said, "Clean throw up?" (I wonder if Karen had any idea all this was going on as we talked.)
I cleaned everything up. Then as Emma's memory served, she remembered I had promised to fill the contact case with juice. I had hoped she had forgotten but it was the first thing she asked after cleaning up the throw up. I filled it with juice and then proceeded to take care of my head ache. Emma wanted a fruit snack only because she happened to see them in the drawer when I grabbed for the crackers. So, I gave her a packet. She climbed up on the counter to eat them (as she usually does) I got my fiber water prepared. Emma helped me stir my fiber and of course ate some of my crackers. I turned around to get my medicine and when I came back she was dipping her cracker in my water. I got her a cup of her own for dipping. She watched me take my pills and mimicked my nasty face I made. Then asked "Was the medicine good?" I said, yes because she was smiling but really I hate taking pills. I gave her one of her gummy vitamins which she calls her medicine. Then she proceeded to continue dipping crackers in her water.
This mornings activities are really not too different from any other day, but Emma just seemed so cute and grown up today I really wanted to record it. So I went to get the computer. No sooner had I sat down and logged in, Emma started complaining about having spilled something. I didn't jump up right away. I figured it was just a couple drips. But she wouldn't stop talking about it so I looked up and sure enough she had completely dumped her entire cup of cracker water all over the counter and was dancing in the puddle making it splash. I went over to clean it up. Emma tried to help by using her fruit snack packet as a wipe. I put some paper towels over the water and I said, "Emma, could you try not making a mess at least one time a day?" She didn't have a response. She stepped on the paper towels to try and dry her feet. It was not productive AT all. I picked her up, dried her feet on a towel, took her wet diaper off, and told her to go get some panties. (She's been doing extremely well with potty training.)
I sat down to begin writing this post to tell you of these amazing Emma Accomplishments. Emma came running back, happy as could be, holding up the bottoms to her swimsuit and said, "I got these." I just laughed and said, "Ok, sure." Then she took Admiral back to the room to play.
Now I'm finally done writing this post.

1 comment:

  1. I love the way her mind works. It's funny the things she remembers like how you put you contacts in. Her daddy game is cute too, you have a 24/7 entertainer! lol

    ReplyDelete