God created her, I carried her, now she is my happiness and my laughter.

Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Something my Grandpa taught me

I'm writing this post sitting on the rug in Emma's room. She is sitting next to me reading a book. Admiral is literally laying on my feet as he can never be close enough. Amadeus is hoping around chewing on Emma's blocks. Emma doesn't seem bothered. I'm having the most fun I've had in the last couple days with my little Tyke and two of my favorite pets and we are only on an 8X10 space. The only thing that would make this moment better is if on the bed next to me laid my two cats and somewhere Jason was sitting. It would also be fun if even the chinchilla was running around or at least in his cage next to us. This is my family. It doesn't matter what we are doing as long as we are all together.
About a month or two ago Jason and I joked around about selling all and living in our tent on a campground somewhere to save money. That led to the conversation of how it would be great to be a single 1st class in the Navy. You could buy a camper and just live out of it and the Navy would still give you Basic Allowance for Housing which would cover the monthly cost of the camper and then some.
Two days ago Jason shared the camper idea with a 1st class in his division. The guy loved the idea and by lunch he was searching for a camper to buy. Jason came home and told me what had happened. The next day I couldn't help but think of all the advantages living in a camper could bring even our family. This morning sitting on this rug and enjoying life made me think it really could be a reality. Admiral is a huge dog, but his breed is actually PERFECT for small space living. Great Danes lay around most of the day and hardly need any exercise. We searched campers just for fun last night and found one with a garage on the back meant for a motorcycle or 4-wheeler. But, I thought it would be the perfect place for our other animals. Seeing that there was something out there that would work for our entire family, animals and all, I suggested to Jason that we live in a camper. We could save a boat load of money on monthly bills, Veterans (which I am) can stay at state parks for free, and at any given moment we could get bored with where we are at and move. If I'm missing my mommy we drive to Arizona. If Jason's feeling homesick, we drive out east. People can visit us if they want to go camping and I don't know any of my family members who wouldn't want to go camping. I could have sold all and bought the camper last night. Now, that's the first part of this story.
Second, and much shorter is that as a dog trainer, I have been craving a small dog of my own that can be my constant buddy. One that isn't gigantic so I can take him in the car with me when I go to my training jobs. We went and looked at a border collie last night for possible purchase for this reason. I liked the dog well enough. I had wanted a border collie when I was thinking about breeds I would enjoy. The people were asking somewhat of a high price, but still affordable. If I had brought cash I could have taken him right then and there. (End of 2nd half of story)
Now for the moral. When I was living with my grandparents a few years back I remember my Grandpa telling me that he always slept on an idea. If in the morning he still felt good about it then he would follow through. Really important decisions sometimes needed more nights to sleep on it. I was a young adult with my own ideas at the time that he told me so I didn't understand how helpful of an idea it was until I was older and more mature. I've been trying to incorporate his advice in my daily decisions ever since I spontaneously bought a car that was WAY to expensive.
So, last night after Jason and I stayed up late talking about what we wanted out of life, I slept on the two decisions of selling all and buying a camper and getting another companion dog.
This morning I was thoroughly surprised when I woke up wanting to start right away with a garage sale and feeling less comfortable with getting the dog. I couldn't help but think of what my Grandpa taught me. Is it really a good idea to give up everything and live the camper life for the next 5-6 years? Could we really handle it? I currently have no doubts other than I'm not sure where I will take a shower. (Do they come with campers?) The only other doubt I have is which kind of camper we would get. If we get a pull behind we would have to sell the car and get a truck. If we got the kind of camper that drives itself we could keep the car. I can also comfortably say that I don't think I should get the companion dog right now. I woke up with doubts and I need to trust that. I feel like if we are meant to get the camper than we definitely can't get another dog. So either God is leading us down a certain path guiding me by my gut, or I'm just more keen on the idea of a camper right now.
I have to honestly say, as lovely as our house is, I hate living here. It's been nothing but bad experiences emotionally in this house. It is not the sanctuary I was hoping for. Six months later I still feel like I'm living in someone else's home. I suppose the thought of leaving this house is enough to make even a camper sound appealing. But whatever the reason I woke up feeling great about the camper idea, all I know is I did feel comfortable with it and so I will continue looking into the idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment