God created her, I carried her, now she is my happiness and my laughter.

Friday, July 29, 2011

A most special moment

Nana Karen arrived a couple days ago, and while that was a special moment, it is not the moment I speak of. Since she has been here Emma has been spending all her time with her. This is good because they don't get to see each other that often. But, I am starting to miss my little Tyke. Why, even this morning when she opened her bedroom door I started to call to her to come to my bed, but she heard Nana talking on the phone in the living room and went out to see her instead. I know these are special memories for Karen so I'm not too concerned.
However, I do soak in those special moments when Emma remembers I'm still here. Yesterday Jason and I were driving home from Mount Vernon and I told him that I was sort of missing Emma. It almost seemed like she was gone. I did not think my days were spent spending that much time with her. I always feel like I'm not giving her enough time. But, since I'm not the center of her attention anymore I can tell how much time we do spend together generally, and I do miss that time. I did not expect to become so attached when I got out of the Navy. I hope I don't turn into the kind of parent who can't let their children out of their sight because they will miss them. I do cherish every moment with Emma. She is so sweet.
Back to the story. When Jason and I got home I received a most adoring welcome. Emma saw me come through the door. Her eyes lit up. She opened her mouth wide in excitement. She said, "mama!" and ran to me with arms open. I picked her up and she squeezed her little arms around my neck in a quick 5-10 second hug. Then she wanted down. Those 10 seconds were so special for me, though and I will always remember them. That night I also spent some time playing tickle with her. She loves that game and it was good to spend some more time with her.
I am going to take advantage of Nana being here, however. I will take this time to bust out my screenplay and work on my school course. I do have plans to spend some time with Karen as well. I want to go Antique shopping and introduce her to a couple friends over coffee. It should turn out to be a relaxing vacation for all of us. I just know post vacation is going to be tough getting Emma back into the swing of things. But every moment with her far away grandparents is worth the extra work getting her back on schedule. This whole month is full of visitors so I might as well wait to worry about it until after the first week of September when my last visitor leaves. Then, I will start a pre pre school program for Emma and get her a jump start on that algebra.

1 comment:

  1. Who all is visiting??? I love reading to my kids because it is so much time spent together. You'll love homeschooling for that reason alone. I've found I really miss my kids in the summer cause they are outside playing.

    ReplyDelete