God created her, I carried her, now she is my happiness and my laughter.

Monday, July 25, 2011

"Oh, what a night" (To be sung like in Four Season's Lyrics)

Jason and I slapped ourselves down in bed around 1700 (5) after putting Emma down for her much needed nap after truck shopping all day. We had watched a couple episodes of Doctor Quinn, Medicine Woman and some episodes of Robin Hood when Jason asked me if I wanted to wake Emma up since it was going on 2100 (9). I said, "Let's just let her sleep through the night as I'm sure she will with the trying day that she had." (Mistake #1)
Emma did not sleep through the night. At the early hour of 0100, she woke up crying. It was just a whimper, but shortly after I heard her coming out of her room. So, I went to her. I picked her up and figured I would sit with her in her room for a while because surely she was still very tired. As I started walking back towards her bed, Emma started frantically rambling off all the things she would rather do, "Princess movie? Book? Eat?" As I laid her down she could tell I would soon give in to something so she pulled out her most dangerous weapon of all: "Mommy's bed?" I couldn't resist. (Mistake #2)
When we first laid down in my bed she laid quiet and still and I thought we would both be able to go back to sleep. But then, as we were laying there Admiral had heard us and now he wanted to go outside to go potty. I reluctantly got up and told Emma to stay in bed and be quiet while I was gone. At this point, it is important that you know, from the time we got home from truck shopping until we turned in for the night, neither Jason nor I had seen Cooper (dog I'm pet sitting) go potty. We had let them out several times through out the evening and still nothing. He has figured out he can jump over our short fence and get to the street so we don't leave him out there too long.
SO, now it was 03:46 and Cooper ran around to the other side of the house instead of going for the fence so I hoped he was going potty, but I did not get off the porch to know for sure. Back inside I put Cooper in his kennel where he sleeps every night and where he had been since we turned in for the night.
Back in bed, Emma was getting antsy and she was not sleeping. (Which you might have just assumed since she was getting antsy) I told her if she could not lay still she would have to go back to her bed. I rolled in close to Jason and then let her try to find a comfortable position for her self. This included me having a diaper in my face twice, her feet on my shoulders, dropping her security pillow in the floor twice and asking me to get it for her, shoving her feet in my ribs and then kneading me like a cat, and being turned completely upside down so that her diaper was on my pillow. Every time I went to situate her back to a normal sleeping position she would ask for food or drink. Our house hold is out of easy snacks and I was not going to make something so she was out of luck with the food. I did have a glass of water by my bed, however, so I decided to let her have a drink of that. (Mistake #3) In the dark of the night, I tipped the cup too much and spilled water all over Emma's shirt, myself, and the bed. I quickly took action to keep Emma from crying as I knew from past experiences would be her reaction. (Although, I'm sure Jason was not able to sleep through all of this anyway, I was hopeful)
Finally at 0500 I took Emma back to her own bed as she was not settling down. She asked for the princess movie and then a drink. I went and got her a cuppy of juice, but by-passed the princess movie.
Back in bed, I thought surly I could catch a few Z's. (Mistake #4) Stupid dog, Cooper, started whining. His whines are low toned but at this stage in the game I would need complete quiet in order to fall back asleep. So I went out to his kennel and pounded on the walls of it which shut him up. I slept for an hour at which time Jason's alarm went off. I slept while he got ready for work until he woke me to say good-bye. Then I slept another hour until he called me and told me he was coming back because he forgot his ID card to get on base. He asked me to bring it out to him. I thought he was on our street or near by so I got the ID right away and stood outside in my robe feeling very drowsy. I probably only waited a minute or two but it felt like ten, so I decided to put the ID in a flower pot and the flower pot in the drive way so he could get it and I could go back to bed. (Mistake #5) As I came back in the house to call him and tell him it would be in the flower pot, I went to wipe my feet on the rug. But, much to my surprise, the rug was wet. I assumed it had to be pee from Cooper. I couldn't believe after all those times we put him out he decided to still do it in the house. So I walked on the side of my food, which was wet with pee to try and get to my phone. I took to long making the call though. When he answered he didn't say anything and then hung up. As soon as the phone was hung up I heard his foot steps in the house. I ran out into the hallway forgetting about my pee foot and shouting quietly, "In the flower pot. In the flower pot."
Back in bed (how many times have I said that?) I closed my eyes and thought to myself, "Wow, windows, how much light you bring in" (to be read like little Red Riding Hood's What big ears you have.) It was then that I decided I would never fall back asleep. I started to think of my busy day and that I had a test coming up already in my new school course. My eyes were so tired I didn't think I could keep them open, but my mind was not going to sleep. So, instead I wrote this blog, planned to get up and start cleaning house for my mother-in-law's arrival in a few days, and refrain from figuring out how many hours of sleep I actually got last night. This is a good plan I think as our morning chipmunk is out side the window making his morning calls and that would have kept me from going back to sleep for sure. (Non-mistake #1)
(I'll let you add in your own thoughts as to what I did with the pee foot.)

1 comment:

  1. I've been there on more occasions than my sleepy eyes care to admit although for me it was kid pee I was standing in. Good thinking to not calculate the hours of sleep. Just load up on the coffee and get on with the day...just don't be surprised if you are ready for your afternoon nap by 10AM. This post made me laugh. You write well when you are sleepy :)

    ReplyDelete