God created her, I carried her, now she is my happiness and my laughter.

Wednesday, August 10, 2011

How long does it take you to mash potatoes?

So this morning I woke up with every intention of making Loaded Mashed Potato Casserole. Little did I know, it would not be the 30 minute prep time that was promised me. I started the project by cleaning up the kitchen around 1000. An hour later between feeding Emma, letting the dog out, and getting something for myself to snack on as I worked I got the kitchen in clean, working order. I pulled out the potatoes which spiked Emma's interest. We had only ever referred to flaked potatoes as potatoes. She crawled up on the counter and when I told her the dirty oval shaped ball on the counter was a potato she looked at me like I was crazy. So I got out the flaked potatoes and a bowl of mashed potatoes out of the refrigerator and put them on the counter next to the bag of potatoes. I explained how each one was potatoes in different form. She listened intently, although, I don't know if she understood. After that, Jason came home for lunch so I paused the mashing of the potatoes project to make him lunch. We worked some financial figures while I prepped the sink area. I wanted to be able to launch right into it after Jason went back to work.
It was 1230 when I started pealing, washing, and cutting potatoes. I had a fantastic system going in the kitchen. I only wished Emma was old enough to pull up a stool and help me. It would have been such fun bonding time for us. Half way through cutting, I sliced my finger. Upon pausing to take care of that, I also sent Emma outside with some crackers.
At 1300 (1pm) I was setting the potatoes on the stove to boil and soften. I stood back and watched "a pot boil" for a while and then decided I would go vacuum the back side of the house while I waited. At 1315 I checked on the potatoes and was slightly confused that they were not boiling yet, but did not think more on it and went back to finish vacuuming. Another fifteen minutes later I went back to check again. Still nothing. I started to think there was something wrong with the stove when I noticed there was more heat coming off from a different burner...
Yes, I turned on the wrong burner and for 30 minutes thought there was nothing awry. FINALLY, when the potatoes were done I poured the water into a measuring cup like my mommy had taught me and started mashing them. It was at this point I should have read the recipe. Adding the water from the potatoes made the mashness too "soupy" with all the other liquid items I was putting in the mixture.
So, I called my sister to find out what a good idea would be for thickening the mixture. We came to the conclusion that I should put some of the "soup" in a separate bowl, heat it up some more and add flaked potatoes. It worked. I put it all together, mixed it up, gave it a taste and was pleased with what I tasted.
At this point Jason came home from work. He thought it was a little funny that I was still working on my 30 min project. He went for a run and I started pouring the potatoes in the pan. Just as the last bit fell into the pan I remembered the recipe said I should grease the pan. SO, I poured it back in the mixer, started hot water and washed up all the dishes including the pan, dried it, greased it and FINALLY poured the potatoes in the pan for good. I topped it with cheese and bacon bits and it is now currently in the oven.
So, to answer the question it took me roughly 5 hours to make mashed potatoes :)

No comments:

Post a Comment