God created her, I carried her, now she is my happiness and my laughter.

Tuesday, January 17, 2012

I'm wide awake at 0428 in the morning

The rain coming down in not so rhythmic force on the roof of the camper is more soothing than anything else. It's the snow melting off the trees and hitting the roof with a bang and an echo, it's the stray we picked up two nights ago to re-home scratching his ear continually through out the night, it's Pida shaking in fright when the snow hits the roof and jingling her collar, its the many many thoughts running through my head that are keeping me awake.
I was wide awake when we turned the lights off to go to sleep at 11 last night. I'm not sure if I drifted to sleep at all since that time. I made my eyes tired by playing solitaire on my phone. I might have drifted for a couple hours then. Jason tossed and turned next to me. I'm sure he'll get up for work in the morning with complaints of not sleeping well, too.
I grabbed my robe and Sniff and headed to the bathroom. When I entered I saw a blob of white on the blob of purple with my blinded eye sight. Upon leaning closer to see what it was, it was my daughter's diaper (on the purple bathroom rug). I laughed half-heartedly to myself as I realized that though Emma refuses to use the bathroom and continues to wear diapers, when she DOES use the potty she can do it all on her own. Last night, she told me she had to use the potty so I told her to go do it. She took her diaper off, got up on the toilet with out a stool, and wiped when she was done. The only thing she left out was flushing. Yet, during the day, even when I put her in panties she'll refuse to use the potty, soil her panties and continue playing like nothing had happened. I'm at a loss here. What stubbornness.
The thought keeping me awake the most this morning was "How on earth can I bathe the stray?" Jason seems very unsettled with that fact that he smells although I barely notice the smell myself. He's an older lab mix with seemingly hip problems as we have to carry him up the stairs to our camper. With who knows what medical issues behind him, I find we'll be lucky to find him a home quickly on craigslist. His catfood diet can not be healthy for him either. We can not keep him, though it was considered. He's a great dog for inside the camper. He just lays around, is patient when he needs to go out, and is proving to be easily trainable. But with most definite medical needs for his age, the fact that he can't climb the stairs, and because my parents would simply lose their mind if I tried to bring a dog to Arizona this March, we have decided not to keep him. Oh, if only Jason and I both didn't have bleeding hearts for an animal in need. Many posts and inquiries later, we have had no luck tracking down an owner. And back to my original issue, how can I bathe him and make it more pleasant for Jason? I really don't think I should let all that hair go down our shower drain, although we have that tank always open for draining. Jason has already forbidden the shower option. He's a good sized dog so I'm not sure that I could fill enough small bowls I have laying around the house with warm water to do a thorough job outside. If I had a water girl to fill the bowl and bring it back as I washed, maybe. But, alas, Emma is not quite big enough for that task. So, the sleepless night continues.
I was busily writing away in my screenplay while Jason read last night before we went to bed and I still have thoughts on the matter so I suppose I will continue writing until I get tired of squinting and leaning forward to see what I'm writing. (I was reprimanded for wearing a very very old glasses perscription. The doctor told me not to wear them anymore or else my eyes will continue to get worse. I have yet to purchase a new pair and my contacts have to sit 6 hours before I can put them back in. So, I go blind) Then, I'll probably make Jason a lunch so I don't have to get up again when his alarm goes off. Providing I am back in bed, tired and/or sleeping by that time. He's leaving an hour earlier due to snow.

1 comment:

  1. I hate those nights when you just can't shut your brain off. I do have some comments about your new doggy friend :) Have you taken him to a clinic to have him scanned for a microchip? They'll do it for free if you just bring him by? In Tucson we have a couple car washes that also have dog washes as well, wasn't sure if WA had those. Can you use a hose outside or is it too cold? The smell could also be yeast infection in his ears, that'll stink pretty bad too. I hope you guys can find a home for him, he sounds like a nice old guy.

    ReplyDelete