God created her, I carried her, now she is my happiness and my laughter.

Friday, May 27, 2011

Eating with Emma and feeding the birds

Couple weeks ago, Jason and Emma and I all went and out and bought some of that white cheddar flavored popcorn to use to feed the birds by the beach. I'm not sure why we decided to do this. It was raining and windy. Jason held an umbrella over Emma as I threw popcorn into the air. Because of the wind, the popcorn came right back at me and landed just a few inches in front of my feet. So I took another piece and wound up like a base ball player and threw it out in the air as hard as I could. This time it went a couple more inches away from my feet. The birds were not interested in coming that close to us. So, after a few more tries, we ended up just dumping the whole bad in a pile and running away, watching the birds fight each other to get to the pile. THAT story doesn't really have anything to do with what I really wanted to say, though. I just wanted to report it because it was funny.
Today, Emma and I went to the gas station for chips to go with our lunch. I bought a bag of that popcorn because I do like to just eat it for myself as well. On the way home, Emma kept saying something that I could not understand. I was starting to get irritated as she was getting irritated with me, too, for not understanding. Finally, we were home and I started making sandwiches, she was still saying the phrase, and it dawned on me she was asking if we were going to feed the birds! I was so impressed with how she had recognized the bag of chips and remembered what we had first used it for. Especially since it was raining the day we fed the birds she did not really have anything to do with it. She was just hiding out under the umbrella.
It should be noted at this time that we do not have a kitchen table presently. I had let a friend borrow it while I was in AZ, and we are still waiting to get it back. So, I usually eat on the couch over a movie at lunch. But today I had to be out of the house after lunch so I decided to pull up the bean bag and eat with Emma at her little tikes table. Halfway through eating, Emma, in her usual behavior, sat down in her little chair and pulled the table towards her rather than scoot closer to the table. So, I was forced to scoot my bean bag closer to the table in order to keep eating. Emma watched me do this with out standing up, I just scooted closer. She got a little grin on her face, scooted her chair backwards and then pulled the table towards her again. So, I scooted closer to the table. Then she started laughing and did it again. Well, by then it was a game. We scooted around the dining room like that while I was trying to eat my chips until I got tired of it and being fearful of knocking the drinks over, I finally just held onto the legs of the table with my legs and finished eating. Emma tried pulling the table a few times and since it wouldn't budge it ended up knocking her chair over and she face planted in the floor. We both got a good laugh about the whole incident.

No comments:

Post a Comment